The Senate voted last night 8/28/13 to expand Medicaid via HB 4714. It almost didn’t pass with the first vote 19-18. Since there wasn’t a tie or 20 votes the bill did not pass. The senate went into a recess and came back for a reconsideration vote and finally passed 20-18.
For those of you who are interested, the following senators voted in favor of HB 4714:
Bieda, Steven M
Hood, Morris W III
Hunter, Tupac A.
Young, Coleman II
I will post a basic synopsis of this bill and what it means for American Indian Health and Family Services later this week.
I have also attached some links below for some different news articles regarding this topic.
- Michigan Senate Approves Medicaid Expansion To Low-Income Adults, But How Soon Is The Question? (detroit.cbslocal.com)
- Michigan Senate approves Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act in second vote (mlive.com)
- Michigan Senate approves bill expanding Medicaid under Obamacare (reuters.com)
- Question of the Day: Did Sen. Goeff Hansen do the right thing in approving the Medicaid expansion? (mlive.com)
- Medicaid advances in Michigan after late-night drama (maddowblog.msnbc.com)